Chief of Staff to CTOSan Francisco, California Apply Requisition Number R0037123 Division StubHub
Chief of Staff to Chief Product & Technology Officer
At StubHub, our mission is to bring the joy of live to fans globally. We’re the world's largest ticket marketplace, and we make sure that the events where you want to be are never sold out.
At StubHub, we are:
Owners – We carry the ball. We act as one team, in it together. We live above the line as optimists and with a solution mindset. We are fully accountable for solving problems, both our own pieces and the whole.
Fan First – We are the fans’ biggest fan. We are the fan and the voice of our fans in everything we do.
Driven – We push past the finish line, aggressively prioritize and focus on what matters most. We debate, decide, commit and deliver.
Inventive – We play a new chord; we celebrate progress over perfection and learnings as much as success. We’re agile because there is always more than one way.
Courageous – We take big swings. We show up for challenges with resilience and persistence. We take risks, embrace failure as a path to learning, and speak up when we have a different opinion.
Diverse & Inclusive – We harmonize. We assume positive intent, trust and empower others; bring a global mindset and seek out alternative viewpoints.
The Chief of Staff to the CPTO is a critically important role, enabling the CPTO to work most effectively with internal and external stakeholders and fulfill his commitments to the customers and StubHub. This is not an administrative role; it is highly strategic and facilitative one that requires a combination of focus and flexibility, as well as a willingness to play an active, behind-the-scenes role. As the CPTO’s trusted counsel, the role requires a highly- resourceful individual with emotional intelligence, self-motivation, and strong analytical and communication skills.
This position reports directly to Arnie Katz, CPTO of StubHub, and encompasses six primary accountabilities:
1. Preparation for, advance planning for, and facilitation of critical Product & Technology meetings (e.g., with StubHub executive P&T leadership, current or potential StubHub partners, customers, or clients), both internal and external. While members of any one of these groups may initiate these meetings through the CPTO’s Executive Assistant and be responsible for inviting and preparing participants, the COS is accountable to ensure that the meeting objectives are realistic, that preparation is appropriate, and that the CPTO is well-prepared, and that travel/logistics/overall calendar is being managed appropriately. CPTO has global responsibilities and extensive domestic and international travel, with various stakeholders in every geographic location that need consideration. This responsibility is less about logistics and more about content and the COS’s judgment about the appropriateness and sufficiency of the intended preparation. In other words, the COS’s role is to make sure the CPTO’s time is leveraged most effectively in a meeting context. This may mean querying and pushing back on senior executives and assisting in their preparation for their interactions with the CPTO, or the CPTO’s interactions with outside parties.
2. Coordination/orchestration of projects or commitments directly involving the CPTO and his direct reports. This responsibility primarily focuses on ensuring alignment among the often disparate stakeholders and, when such alignment is absent, sharing this fact with the CPTO and recommending mitigating approaches. While this responsibility envisions the COS “going deep” on a relatively limited number of projects, s/he would also need to understand the breadth of the projects within the CPTO’s purview. The CPTO and the COS would agree in advance on the schedule of projects requiring COS involvement. Collaboration, Team-orientation, tact, diplomacy, and persistence are essential qualities in executing this dimension of the role.
3. Independent leadership of special CPTO-initiated projects, ranging from critically-important strategy decks about future product-and-organization direction, to written blog posts to be authored by the CPTO to convening thought leaders on various topics. While the vast majority of CPTO-initiated projects will find homes among the executive team and their staffs, and may be managed by the communications and PR teams, some confidential or time sensitive issues will need to reside within the office of the CPTO and be led by the COS and the CPTO. From time to time, StubHub President will ask the CPTO to come back with specific analyses — these, too, would fall within the COS’ purview. Many times, this would mean being the thought leader and / or thought partner to the CPTO and drive the creation of content for presentations.
4. Leading the development of key draft communication on behalf of the CPTO and/or research in support of these. Communications range from notes to employees and entire StubHub, follow up correspondence related to the CPTO’s various meetings, customers and partners, to various speaking engagements involving external audiences. In addition to the drafting of key communications, the COS should also be able to accurately reflect the CPTO’s position in internal meetings to help drive understanding of his views, though the role does not entail devolved responsibility to act for the CPTO unless so specified.
5. Proactive identification of issues that could impact the successful execution of the CPTO’s commitments: This responsibility involves elevating those issues about which the CPTO should be aware and framing/positioning ideas to resolve the problem/mitigate the risk. This is among the most challenging aspects of the job and will require the COS to focus on the underlying interests of the parties working with the CPTO, understand their intentions, and creatively identify alternative means of handling pressing issues.
6. Support the P&T executive team’s communications with the CPTO: The COS will help facilitate decisions the executive P&T staff need receiving feedback on from the CPTO. S/he will support the needs of the executive P&T staff in their ability to raise critical issues with the CPTO and receive needed responses, guidance and decisions. Specifically, this person will be the main liaison for the CPTO with the finance department and make sure the P&T organization has the right controls in place to successfully meet the organization goals.
There is limited travel involved, as the COS will accompany the CPTO to selected meetings. This role is based in San Francisco.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
The incumbent will gain highly valuable skills enabling him or her to more readily attain a general management perspective/role that encompasses the strategic, technology, financial, and operational aspects of leading a global organization at the center of media, entertainment, and technology.
Specifically, the COS will:
- Become aware of issues from an integrative, executive leadership perspective
- Interact with leading executives, stakeholders, partners in media, entertainment and technology
- Obtain an up close and personal understanding of leadership and decision-making related to the simultaneous execution of a complex growth strategy and the transformation of an industry sector.
- Be exposed to senior executives, customers, partners and industry executives, with the opportunity to learn from their strengths and developmental areas
- Be mentored by the CPTO
- Have access to formal developmental opportunities that augment their responsibilities as COS.
This role provides privileged access to the inner workings of StubHub and eBay and to highly sensitive information. The successful candidate will be discrete, high-energy, agile-minded, strategic, proactive, a direct communicator, highly-organized and committed to the vision and values of StubHub. A successful candidate will be a strong team player, recognize the unique culture of StubHub, and collaborate well with senior leaders. In addition, the following standards will generally define the successful incumbent:
- Minimum -two year commitment to the role that would prepare the incumbent for a Product, Program or general management role at StubHub or beyond;
- MBA or post-graduate degree highly desirable.
- Minimum of 2 years work as a consultant highly desirable.
- Applicable/transferable experience: tech, media, entertainment, business strategy or consulting;
- Mission-driven; passionate about StubHub and live events.
- Good sense of self and strong personal presence
- Willingness to work hard and take direction—but also creatively solve problems for which the
answers aren’t always obvious
- Knowledge of StubHub and key stakeholders desirable but not essential
- Strong strategic thinking and financial analysis skills
- Highly-developed communication skills (written/verbal). Ability to tell a story using data.
- Results/action-orientation; project management skills
- Organizational and political agility; developed negotiation skills
- Unquestionable personal code of ethics, integrity, diversity and trust
- Able to successfully navigate within varying degrees of ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
Are you interested in joining an ambitious and close-knit team dedicated to solving meaningful customer problems? Your work will have a significant impact on the business, and help spread the joy of concerts, theater, and sports around the world.
We love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel StubHub is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work.
View our accessibility info
StubHub is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
Not ready to apply yet? Email this job to yourself
Recently Saved Jobs
You have not saved any jobs.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You have not viewed any jobs.